Any lemon flavoured baked good is a strong favourite of mine!
As of yet, I haven’t found a good gluten-free lemon cupcake or cake which is disappointing.
So I took matters into my own hands and have been trialling different ways to make lemon cakes.
This recipe is the perfect balance between being a good lemon flavour but not TOO much lemon!! And yes that is a thing!!!
If you are not a fan of lemon curd, then you can skip that out and maybe just make slightly more butter icing or not and skip out a couple of steps and you will have a nice lemon cupcake!
Recipe – Lemon Curd Cupcakes:
|Prep time: 15 minutes||Cook time: 18-20 minutes|
|Serves: 12||Category: Cupcake|
- 175g Butter
- 175g Caster Sugar
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 3 Large Eggs
- 175g Gluten Free Self-raising flour
- A pinch of xanthum gum
- 200g Lemon Curd
- 150g Butter
- 300g Icing Sugar
- 2 tsp Lemon extract
- Preheat oven to 180c fan and line a cupcake tray with cupcake cases.
- Cream together the butter, sugar and lemon zest until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time and whisk them in thoroughly then gently whisk in the flour and xanthum gum.
- Separate mixture between cupcake cases and bake for 18-20 minutes until they are golden brown and a skewer comes out clean.
- To make the buttercream, mix butter and icing sugar until they begin to combine and then add the lemon extract and mix until the buttercream is smooth.
- To construct the cupcake once it has completely cooled, using an apple corer to remove the centre of the cupcake. Then add in a good amount of good quality lemon curd to the centre of the cupcake. Then pipe the buttercream on top of the cake and decorate with sprinkles if desired and then enjoy!
- When making the icing you can use real lemon juice if you would rather. I have done this occasionally but this can lead to the mixture becoming very wet and not combining properly so the ratio of butter and icing sugar is slightly different if doing.
- If you REALLY like lemon flavour or lemon curd then you could add the lemon curd to the cupcakes around 10-15 minutes after they have come out of the oven. This will allow the lemon curd to soak into the cupcake.
- If making these cupcakes with ‘normal’ flour then use the same ratios but just don’t use xanthum gum.